|The Replica of the Norfolk in George Town|
Flinders had been doing some exploring on his own and believed that he could prove that Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) was an island.
Bass and Flinders convinced Governor Hunter that another expedition should be set up with a bigger boat and more men.
as a survey vessel.
|From the Bass and Flinders Centre|
They sailed with a crew of 8 right into the Tamar River and anchored off what is now George Town.
This was to be their last voyage together as Bass disappeared mysteriously in the Pacific Ocean.
Flinders also took the Norfolk north to chart Cook’s Morton’s Bay (now Moreton Bay) and Hervey’s Bay (Hervey Bay).
The Norfolk was then used to supply produce from the Windsor Area to Port Jackson, until 1800 when she was seized by convicts, at the mouth of the Hawkesbury River.
Intending to sail her to the Mollucas (A group of islands of eastern Indonesia between Sulawesi and New Guinea), the convicts ran her aground at Stockton on the northern side of the mouth to the Hunter River.
|The Bass and Flinders Centre|
The magnificent replica Norfolk is now on display at The Bass and Flinders Centre in George Town.
The Bass and Flinders Centre is at 8 Elizabeth Street, George Town TAS 7253