Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Oatlands, Tasmania

History Set In Stone

Callington Mill, Oatlands
Oatlands sits around 84 km north of Hobart and 115 km south of Launceston, about 1 km off the Midland Highway (you can see the windmill from the highway) and has a (2011 Census) population of 862.
The town has the largest collection of sandstone buildings in a village setting in Australia with 87 original sandstone buildings along the town’s main street.

  One of Tasmania's oldest settlements, Oatlands was initially a military base for the control and management of convicts, because of its central location between Hobart and Launceston.

The town was named after an English town in the county of Surrey by Governor Macquarie in 1821.

Convicts were assigned to nearby farms and properties and also worked on public buildings, roads and bridges.

Hangman Solomon Blay

Much of the Black War (early settlers against local aborigines) took place in the surrounding districts and Oatlands was also the home of the ex-convict Solomon Blay, Tasmania's most feared hangman.

Hangings were carried out at Richmond, Launceston, Hobart and Oatlands and Solomon was forced to walk when his services were required, as no stage coach would pick him up.

Apparently his wages were so low that he could not afford a horse.

There are three RV camp-sites including:

 Donation 72 hour caravans and motor home camping (dogs OK)  at The Esplanade Oatlands with public toilets nearby.

Oatlands Overflow Paddock (Dogs OK)
Donation 72 hour Campground at LOT 59 Esplanade, Oatlands

 St. Peters Pass Rest Area
7170 Midland Hwy, Oatland., Free camping, dogs OK.

 Get details of the town, including accommodation, points of interest, emergency services, toilets and dump points as well as freedom camping locations at
http://www.tasmania.grandpapencil.net/Heritage/oatlands.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment